Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 16: Orchestra Concert + All States Results

Today was my local orchestra's concert. The concert consisted of thirteen chamber music groups, and one group performance at the end. My group was a quartet, with two violins, one viola, and one cello. We played Nocturne by Borodin, a quite well-known piece. I had just found out today by the conductor that this song was played in a Disney film. When I went home, I researched a bit and found out that it played in a short film by Disney and Pixar called "The Little Match Girl". You can watch it here.

The group performance at the end of the concert was a song composed by one of the orchestra members. He's 17 and has been composing music since 14. Yup, genius right there.

Anyways, today the high school all-states results came out too. I made it in, but only second violin. This year was really weird though. Another violin player who goes to my school was first violin second chair in regionals didn't even make it in. And the concert-master (first violin, first chair) of regionals only got second violin. Many people I know did much worse than expected. My family, teacher, and orchestra director speculate that there must have been some mistake in the scoring  So I guess considering the circumstances, I should call myself lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment