Saturday, March 23, 2013

Day 22: Learning F2L (Rubik's Cube technique)

So yesterday night I finally decided to learn F2L (First Two Layers), a more advanced method of cubing that basically allows the cuber to solve two of the three layers at once, saving lots of time. My brother immediately jumped to the opportunity of showing me a Youtube channel with a bunch of F2L tutorials, but after watching the first video, I gave up. Then I remembered that Matt Ramina recently tweeted to me a video on F2L. So I found the video and started learning.

The video was great. The guy made lots of analogies that made the techniques unforgettable. Although there were some parts that he did not clarify well, it was a great start on my quest to learn F2L. Right now I have the basic gist of it, but I'm not fluent enough to speedcube with it. I plan to learn advanced F2L after I get good at beginner's.

Because of my sudden addiction to timing my speedcubing, I was timing myself until 1:00 last night. Bad decision, but I seriously didn't pay attention to the time. When my dad finally went over to me to tell me to sleep, I was thinking, "Woah, it's 1:00 already? Last time I looked at the clock it was 11:30!"

And what kinda stunk was that I had to wake up at 9:00 to go TA at Chinese school. It doesn't sound too bad, but with the fact that I slept really late and my mentality of sleeping in because of spring break, I had a hard time getting up this morning. My dad had to literally pull me out of my bed.

BTW THANKS MATT FOR THE VIDEO :D


2 comments:

  1. You're welcome. It really helped me grasp the concept of F2L, with creating pairs and such. The only thing is that I'm seeing a decrease in my times (probably because it's a new subject for me as well). I can also attribute this to my not cubing for a long time. I had it down to ~1:30 and then I forgot the two-look OLL that I had going. I'm going to have to relearn all of those if I want to get even remotely close to that :/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried learning F2L a while ago, but I could never focus enough to actually improve my time. If you plan on learning it though, good luck!

    ReplyDelete