Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day Three: Tuning My Piano!

So today my piano got tuned for the first time in five years. Of course, it was severely out of tune. To save money, my family decided that instead of pitching everything up to the standard 440 calibration, we would instead tune everything in relationship to the middle A. That meant that the notes individually were not in tune, but they were the correct pitch intervals between each other.

It was kind of embarrassing when the tuner finished and I had to test out the piano. I haven't had a lesson for four years and the only thing I practice these days are Lady Gaga covers. So I went up to the piano and played the main melody of Fur Elise by Beethoven and struggled with the second part of it. Then I played the first slow part of Sonata Pathetique by Beethoven (I self-taught myself the first half of the first movement) and decided not to even attempt the extremely fast part to avoid utter humiliation. The tuner said "Good job" to me and told me to practice every day, and I nodded thinking "hahalolok".

But now my piano is beautiful again, I think I'm going to practice more seriously than just experimenting with chords for my covers. I'm going to get out the music for Pathetique and practice more thoroughly, especially my right hand for the fast part. I'm also going to get fluent in Fur Elise again. It's not really that hard of a piece, but I need to be able to solidly know at least one song before I can consider myself a piano player.


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I know exactly what you mean about tuning the piano! Technically, you’re supposed to tune your piano every year, but we tune ours every five :). My piano teacher kept reminding us, but then she eventually gave up and now I practice with an out-of-tune piano. I wish I had more time to practice the flute and piano. I still take weekly lessons, but I never get a chance to practice, even for a minute. If only
    we had less homework… :)

    ReplyDelete