Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day 2: TA'ing at Chinese School!

Every week, on Saturday mornings, I go to my local Chinese school and TA not only for volunteer hours, but also for learning to interact with little kids. I teach in two classes, a kindergarten class and a martial arts class. I went to Chinese school for nine years and graduated last year, so now I'm just here to help out.

The kindergarten class I TA is adorable. The majority of the kindergarten students are Chinese-American, and the teacher is just wonderful. She's really creative in her teaching and knows how to not bore the children (I wish my kindergarten Chinese school teacher was like that!). Today they were reviewing how to count to Chinese, and the students' quick learning really astounds me.

After helping the teacher for two hours, I go over to the martial arts class and teach there for an hour. The kids in that class are slightly older, but still aren't old enough to learn without the help of a few TA's. Since I've been training in martial arts for many years, most of their forms come naturally to me, but the teacher also teaches the kids how to use nunchuks (Styrofoam ones, mkay?), which is a totally new experience to me. I really enjoy assisting the kindergarten and martial arts class because not only do I get to teach the children, but it's a learning experience for me as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment