Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 17: Experimenting with a Chinese Ocarina

If you play a woodwind or brass instrument, your assistance would be greatly appreciated :D

On Saturday, before kungfu class started, my master gave me a Chinese Ocarina as a gift. In Chinese they're called "Tao Xun" (陶笛). He showed me how to hold it and blow into it and everything, but we both knew that he didn't really know how to play actual songs. I took it gratefully, and today I decided to figure out what combination of holes (is that what they're called, band people?) would create which notes. Luckily my perfect pitch helped with this a lot.



As I was experimenting and recording notes, I found that this was the kind of instrument that played different notes depending on how you blew into it. For example, blowing into it with all the fingers covered could either produce a "B" or "A". Does that make sense? Am I doing it right? *COUGH BAND PEOPLE COUGH*

Also, I would like to know some tips on playing wind instruments well. I played clarinet for one year in third grade, so the only three things I got out of it was 1) cover hole-thingies completely 2) don't puff out your cheeks and 3) clean out the spit after you play, but I don't think that applies to this instrument.

I kinda actually want to be able to play this xD So I would love it if you guys could help me :P Thanks!!


2 comments:

  1. I play the piano, alto saxophone, and Chinese violin (erhu). Every thing you questioned was correct. The holes in the instrument help make the sounds for different notes. Each different combination of holes pressed down produces a different sound. However, the ocarina seems to be played like a flute. This is because there is no mouthpiece, unlike the saxophones and clarinets. Instead, you are blowing into the instrument directly. A tip would be to take big breaths so the sound will be full and rich. (It's a good idea not to puff your cheeks) It's best to clean the instrument after because piled up dried spit can damage the instrument and build up mold. I hope this helped. Good luck learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a ocarina once because I felt like buying it as a souvenir from a national park. I lost it when I moved T.T If I didn't move, I could've made another one in school, because apparently in middle school in Edison, making one of those is an art project.

    ReplyDelete